Hey y’all. This is possibly the best mug cake ever, and also my absolute favorite after school food.
Full of lemon flavor, because this mug cake uses one entire lemon!! Yup talk about intensity, huh? It’s absolutely worth it. So if you have a lemon lying around doing nothing, use it for this mug cake. The lemon will thank you.
I don’t have a microwave, so I did this in an oven, but i’m 98% sure you can also bake this in a microwave.
Back to the mug cake, and now i’ll tell you the best part of it. When it came out of the oven, I poked lots of tiny holes all over the top and poured the rest of the lemon juice (mixed with a bit of powdered sugar) over it, so the cake could soak in all that lemon goodness. Then finishing it up with a little bit of powdered sugar, which creates a kind of crust over the top. Absolute heaven! Hope you try this, you won’t regret it!
The recipe (makes one mug cake):
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp lemon zest*
- 3 tsp lemon juice*
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- rest lemon juice and zest
- Melt a little bit of butter in a mug and then brush it up the sides so the cake won’t stick to the mug.
- Combine dry ingredients in the mug until well mixed.
- Using a fork, beat in the egg, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice until well mixed.
- Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
- Meanwhile, mix the powdered sugar with the rest of the lemon juice and zest (keep it at a quite runny consistency so the cake can soak it in better).
- When the mug cake is done, poke holes in it straight away, and drizzle the lemon icing on top.
- Stick it in the freezer for 3 minutes and then enjoy!
*this equals one whole lemon